Baby, it’s cold outside! Come on over and warm up with a cup of mulled wine. It not only warms you up on the inside, but it gives your whole house a warm, earthy spice aroma too! If you’re not familiar with mulled wine, it’s basically a red wine mixed with spices such as cloves, cinnamon and anise star, heated and served warm. Mulled wine is a traditional drink usually served around the holidays.
There are many variations on how to make mulled wine. I have experimented with several recipes and have come up with the best combination of spices. For my wine, I chose a red wine blend but you can use a Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel or even a merlot. It does not have to be an expensive wine either. I added sliced oranges to the wine for a little bit of color and citrus flavor. The lemons in the jar were a photo prop but you can use lemons if you want to but be sure to add sugar or honey to sweeten it up a little.
This recipes served about 12 people but you can easily cut the recipe in half for a smaller crowd.
- 2 bottles red wine (a blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel or Merlot)
- 4 c. unsweetened apple cider
- 1/2 c. brandy (optional)
- 1/2 c. honey
- 5 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 T. whole cloves
- 1-2 oranges
- Place the cloves in a tea ball or cheese cloth.
- Slice the oranges
- Add all ingredients to a large Crockpot and cook on low for 1-2 hours then turn down to the warm setting until you are ready to serve.
- Ladle into mugs and serve.
It’s such a festive drink!
And it is the perfect drink for chilly days.
Make a cup and enjoy!